So, since we are reading a big chunk of a Bleak House, I decided to do my bullet points as I read. I’ll add the bullets after I read a couple of chapters. Hopefully, this will make it easier for me to recall things that I wanted to put in my blog – instead of reading it all and scrambling for my points.
- Obviously, Dickens is pressing reform by starting out the novel in the courtroom.
- Children – again.
- Fashion is.. evil?
- Prolonged court case. I feel like this will be a substantial theme in the novel.
- New narrarator
- Abandoned, disgraced, emotionally abused girl and apparently friendless (besides the doll).
- Family secrets
- Mr. Jarndyce and the movement of the Esther, Ada, & Richard to his home.
- More abused, digraced, unwanted children living in a wretched situation.
- Welcome to the “Bleak House”
- Crazy, bird lady.
- Updated info on the Jarndyce case.
- A plethora of new characters
- Richard and Ada’s family connection to Jarndyce.
- Obsession with the wind?
- Trust for Esther
- Sympathy of financial situations , then scolding for it.
- Recalled to life by haunting?
- Suicide…then lawsuit
- One busy housekeeper…Esther
- Sailor ambitions
- A bunch of letters scrambled together creating insane names for characters
- Dead body
- Opium AGAIN!
- Possible murder/Suspicious death
- Guppy “stalking” Esther
- Demanded payments
- Kindness to children
*Can anyone read over the name “Jelby” and not say jelly belly?